THE JOURNAL consists of selected, most notable and newsworthy POSTINGS OF THE DAY.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

> Anwar: 8 months and no action

Parti Keadilan Rakyat adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has expressed disappointment that no action had been taken on the police report he lodged eight months ago alleging abuse of power by Attorney-Gereral Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail and Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan over his 'black eye' incident in 1998.

The Parliamentary opposition leader also expressed his disappointment with the newly-minted Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) for failing to take action despite promises of transparency.

Anwar said this after he lodged a second report at the Damansara police station about 11.30am today. He was accompanied by PKR vice president R. Sivarasa and dozens of supporters. The report was a follow-up to his first report lodged in June 2008 at the Shah Alam police station.

“I am disappointed that after eight months, no action has been taken against the AG and the IGP," said Anwar.

He acknowled that Minister in the PM's Department (Datuk Seri) Mohamed Nazri Aziz had informed him that the (investigation) papers are now in the AG's chambers.

In today's report, Anwar added some additional information to support his claim that Gani and Musa were responsible for falsifying a police report on his detention by ACP Koh Hong Sang on Sept 21, 1998.

"The report mentioned that I was arrested under ISA (Internal Security Act) and not for charges of sodomy as mentioned by Koh a few hours earlier.

"The AG and IGP conspired to do this because they wanted to hide information from the public that I was assaulted and that I could not be brought to court immediately."

Anwar was arrested on Sept 20 1998 and brought to Bukit Aman, where he was assaulted by then-IGP Tan Sri Rahim Noor, which resulted in the infamous 'black eye' incident. Rahim was charged in court for the assault and pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to two months jail and fined RM2,000

Musa Hassan was then the case's investigating officer while Gani was the prosecutor  -  the Sun.